Thursday, January 29, 2015

Down Goes the Seesaw

After doing well "trying" and yes, actually "doing" throughout the month of November, I developed kidney stones in December.  These stones triggered a lupus flare, in which I had no choice but to up my prednisone dose from 15 mg to 30 mg in order to keep breathing. 

I decided to stay on this dose until after my sister's wedding, so I would not flare again during her special time.  I did remarkably well during the wedding weekend, even though I passed at least one of the stones (which was incredibly painful!).  It was wonderful to spend time with my family, and to meet Dave's (my new brother-in-law) family. 

The only issue was that everyone at the wedding, and pre-wedding party, was sick with colds and the flu/bronchitis.  Due to people coughing and sneezing around me, about four days after coming home, I developed signs of a sinus/upper respiratory infection.  I started on antibiotics right away...but it was not enough...and neither was the 30 mg of prednisone. 

Two days after starting the antibiotics I needed to go to the emergency room, which was packed with incredibly sick people.  Thankfully, the doctors put me in a private room while we waited 9 hours.  I was given IV steroids and valium to help ease my breathing.  My color was a grayish/blue when I went in, but improved enough after the medication that I was able to go home on 50 mg of prednisone. 

I was horribly sick for a full two weeks, so I was unable to lower the dose of prednisone during that time.  Last week was the first time I was able to drop...down to 40 mg...and 30 mg this week.  I am back where I started during the kidney stone flare.  Each week I am high dose prednisone, my body and mind seem to rebel more and more. 

Depression and anxiety are not uncommon for those on high dose prednisone, and I am no exception.  I know what is causing these feelings, and yet it does not make it much easier to handle.  I have to keep reminding myself that it WILL get better, that I have done this many times before and gotten through the torture. 

Sometimes I wonder if this will always be my life...this constant up and down in both mood and health.  I try to steer clear of these particular thoughts...they do nothing but make the depression worse.  I attempt to focus on the fact that I was able to lower two doses successfully and with less pain (though I do get migraines for a few days during each drop).  I really do try to numb my mind...to do whatever possible when I feel well enough.  I managed to get out a little this past weekend, and even on the day that I lowered this week.  The weather is so beautiful right now, and it is such a shame to stay locked in the house. 

I just want this nightmare to be done...I want the Up on the seesaw.  I need to keep reminding myself that it will happen.  I will not let the prednisone win.  I will not let the depression keep me down.  Each time I drop on prednisone will cause me to need this reminder...the reminder that I will prevail and thrive...eventually.

2 comments:

  1. It was (is) a horrendous year for colds and I'm so sorry you got one. I think you are very brave and living "in the moment" is a very good method of keeping your spirits up. We all love you - you are our HERO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so frightening and worrisome when one is surrounded by people and environs that can prey on weakened immune system. Sending you healing energy.

    ReplyDelete